Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Thoughts on Where the Red Fern Grows


This was one of those books - the stories I couldn't set down and instead finished in the wee hours of the morning.  I remember tucking the flashlight back into its spot under my mattress and holding the volume to my chest, sobbing into the darkness.  You would think it likely that a young girl living in suburbs of Portland might have a difficult time relating to a country boy and his coon-hunting dogs, but the drama of the tale and the powerful writing captivated my imagination.

I cried buckets of tears over Rawls' masterpiece and reread the final chapters over and over willing the story to end differently.  I had read other books dealing with death before this, of course, but my animal-loving soul was struck by the finality of it all, especially in the face of the heroic courage of Old Dan and Little Ann.  The themes in Where the Red Fern Grows are complex: the success of having worked hard for something good , the cruelty of the boys, the intensity of the hunt, and the heart-stopping moment with the axe are all woven together with explorations of human loneliness and the joy of animal companionship.


I revisited this book when I taught fifth grade, 
and I read it aloud to my class after lunch.  This proved to be an ill-thought out choice when I found myself struggling to get through the final pages, my voice breaking even as I read the inevitable ending.  I doubt there was a dry eye in the room, and the story stayed with us throughout the day as the children talked about death and loved ones  and how that made them feel.  I remember that the students' desire to talk made me uncomfortable.  I didn't know what to say or how to listen and, for a moment, I regretted choosing that book for our read-aloud.  You see, I had passed fully into grownup land and felt the impulse to explain away the injustice of the story or at least to offer some sort of comforting platitudes.  Looking back, I rather wish middle-grade me could have been in the class that day.  What I really wish I could have done was to pass around the tissue box, sit down, and sob over the unfairness and ugliness of death and revel in the preciousness of life.  This is one of the books crafted to make you feel things deeper than you can articulate or even fully understand, which might be one of the reasons why it is the perfect middle-grade read.  
I originally wrote this post for Claire Legrand's series of Middle-Grade memories, where authors talk about their first impressions of favorite books - not how they would perceive the book now, but how they did back then.  I'm reposting bits of it here because writing the post reminded me how much I absolutely love WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS, and I'd love to hear Mayhemers' thoughts on this classic novel.  Have you read it?  How old were you?

Also, I'm wondering what your middle-grade memories are.  What book so impacted you that it left you crying? Or you found you saw the world or your parents or your siblings in a whole new way once you turned that final page?

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book in 20-25 years, and I still just teared up a little when I read this post. This kind of story, I think, is the best thing about books. It's what they're for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg--haven't read the book, but I DID see the movie. Scarred. For. Life!!! I'm sure I was too little to be watching it--with my eyes bugging out of my head. It was so sad and his mom was so mean! And that little boy fell on the axe and ... uhh. *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Fern and Bridge to Terabithia were my two.
    I want my younger son to read Red Fern, but I know it's going to make him cry, too, so I'm also kind of reluctant to put him through that. Still, if I can find my copy, I'm going to have him read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, loved this book. It wasn't a book I would have normally chosen as a kid, but it was mandatory reading at my school. I'm so glad it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read this book until I was an adult. It's beautiful and haunting and oh-so-powerful. I haven't read it aloud to a class yet because I would definitely sob through that part... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is my all time favorite. I first read it when I was about twelve, and yes, I cried all through the end. About ten years ago I read it outloud to my nine year old dog-loving step son, and guess what? I cried all through the end again. But it's one of those books that makes you a better person for having read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tearing myself away momentarily from nonstop Olympic coverage to say what a lovely post this is, and to promise that I will read this book once I've stopped marvelling at pikes with one and a half somersaults and double twists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first read the book as an adult several years ago, and loved it for it's intensity. I'll consider reading this to my class this year. (My first year teaching 5th grade.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to read this book to my students, too. It was tough to get through but so worth it to expose the kids to such a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading it with my 12-year-old son. We're both troubled by the wonton killing of Raccoons and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Where The Red Fern Grows as a class read-a-loud with my grade 5's every year. (I read it in grade 5) I am a 35 year old WASP male and one of the biggest most 'masculine' teachers at my school, and I still sob every time I read this. But thats ok. In fact it is part of the reason I choose it. We need to demonstrate to our kids that life is hard, unfair and it doesn't make always make sense. Its ok to struggle. Its ok to cry. And people like Billy learn from the hardship and are ultimately strengthened by it.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!