Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In other words...


Actual listing in the TV section of the Marin Independent-Journal, Marin, CA 2002:

MOVIE "The Wizard of Oz": Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she meets, then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again.

I found this in All Things Oz, edited by Linda Sunshine, and at the same time it was cracking me up, it made me think.

It's a perfectly accurate summary of a story that we all know and love, while at the same time being the total opposite of what we understand that story to be.

I feel it could help as a great learning tool to everyone who is struggling to understand their stories, or trying to summarize their plots for queries, etc. Are you focusing on the angle that most suits your material?

—posted by Timothy Power

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I keep a list of 'posts to return to.' This is now on it. Good perspective for that querying time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love the description for the Wizard of Oz. It really makes you think about perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!